Friday, May 23, 2014

I made a dress!

I actually made a flippin' dress!  Yes, you read that right.  Not a quilt.....but a dress!  If you're on Instagram, you may have seen #thestapledress by April Rhodes all over the place.  I'll admit, when I first saw it, I thought it was a bit loose for my style.  But the more versions that were posted, the more I liked it.  Some had posted that it ran a bit big, so they went down a size.  I hesitated doing that because I didn't want to mess up my beautiful fabric that I had purchased.  I started this dress almost 2 months ago!! Check out this fabric!  Awesome? Yes! I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it!  It's Bijoux Divine Gypsy Ivory by Bari J that I got from Winter Creek Cloth.  Serious love here, people! 
So, to be on the safe side, I started with an ugly dress with some fabric that I've had sitting around for almost 20 years. My husband may or may not have had some hang-around-the-house pants made out of this. Possibly my son, too.
It was too big through the neck.  I knew I could definitely go down a size on the bottom, but I wasn't so sure about the top.  So then I made another ugly one, but just the top this time. No one had pants out of this fabric. It's just super thin, and would probably fall apart after the first wash, so it was in my ugly pile. 
Perfect!  Now it was time to get out the pretty fabric!  
This dress even has French seams in the shoulders! Crazy! Way easier than they sound! 
I finally finished it on Mother's Day while my husband and son spoiled me rotten with a brunch of French toast, bacon, fresh fruit, and Mimosas! I asked my husband to take pics of me and the boy (Mother's Day tradition).....and then just me all by myself.....in my pretty dress :)  


I used the elastic shirring in the waist on the ugly dress, but decided not to on the 2nd one, mostly because I just wanted to be done. And the belt works just fine without the elastic.  I put pockets on this one, but I think I might leave them off with the next one.  The neck is still a bit big on me, but I'll just wear a cami or tank top.  I didn't realize I was that narrow, but I guess I am.  I would definitely make this again!
Oh, and this just happens to match the cute little bag that I got from Dana (Winter Creek Cloth) in a brown bag swap at the Corvallis Modern Quilt Guild meeting.  Is this cute or what?  
Stay tuned for the big sale that Winter Creek Cloth is having starting on May 26th. You don't want to miss it!  You could probably still find some of this awesome fabric....if I don't get to it first :)  

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Your dress looks great with the belt. Love the photo of you and your boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wolf Whistle! Way to go Sassy Pants.......er Dress!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I like the "ugly" one too. If you want the neckline smaller on the next dress, use the markings for the next smaller size for the neckline only. It's really an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress turned out beautifully! French seams in the shoulders? I'm impressed!!! I love the photo of you and your son!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Lisa Lisa and the Quilt Jam! I love to receive comments, and read each and every one of them!